- Entry Categories
- About the theme “HOME”
- Awards and Prizes
- Entry Period
- Submission Rules
- Submission Guideline
- How to Enter
- Notification to Winners
- Award Ceremony and Exhibition
- Entry Guidelines Available for Downloads
This year for the first time, all categories in photography and video will accept entries from any digital device, including smartphones. The video category will broaden its accepted length of 6 to 180 seconds, and will have an independent set of judges.
Note: The “Enter contest” button will be displayed from the start of the entry period on September 15.
- Category A: Theme “HOME”, single photo
- Category B: Theme “HOME”, photo story (two to five images that present the theme.)
- Category C: Open theme, single photo
- Category D: Open theme, photo story (two to five images.)
- Category E: Theme “HOME”, 6 to 180 seconds in length
- Category F: Open theme, 6 to 180 seconds in length
About the theme "HOME"
Home. It’s a place. It’s a feeling. It’s where and how you live. It’s what you value, no matter where you are. We at Nikon recognize that home is at the heart of everything. This year’s contest asks you to show us what home means to you.
Awards and Prizes
1 award. The winner will receive a trophy, an award certificate, and Nikon products equivalent to 1,000,000 yen and the opportunity to show his or her portfolio on the Nikon Photo Contest Website. *1
The Grand Prize will be selected separately from the 1st place for each category.
1 award per category. The winners will receive a trophy, an award certificate, and Nikon products equivalent to 500,000 yen and the opportunity to show their portfolios on the Nikon Photo Contest Website.*1
5 awards per category. The winners will receive a trophy, an award certificate, and Nikon products equivalent to 200,000 yen.
10 awards per category. The winners will receive a trophy, an award certificate, and Nikon products equivalent to 100,000 yen.
Participants Award for Most Popular Entry:
1 award. The winner will receive a trophy, an award certificate, and 500,000 yen.
For the most promising entrants under age 19 with a fresh take on the world. 10 awards*2. The winners will receive an award certificate and Nikon products equivalent to 300,000 yen.
Prizes are subject to change without notice and cannot be exchanged, transferred or redeemed for cash.
*1 The winners of the Grand Prize and 1st place prize for each category will have an opportunity to exhibit additional work on the awards website. Winners are requested to submit, free of charge, a selection of other works for which they hold the copyright. Prizes will not be revoked if winners decline to exhibit additional work.
Winners will be contacted directly with additional details regarding the prizes.
*2 Entrants under age 19 (at the time of submission during 2014/09/15-12/15) will be eligible for this award from all categories. Winners will be requested to submit official confirmation of their date of birth. In the event that such documentation is not provided, winning status will be revoked.
2014/9/15(Monday)-2014/12/15 (Monday)(closes at 1:00 p.m. Japan standard time)
The contest is open to all, professional and amateur, regardless of age, sex or nationality.
- Entrants under 18 years of age require the permission of a parent or guardian. By entering the contest, entrants under 18 years of age indicate that they have obtained the permission of a parent or guardian.
- The contest is not open to employees of Nikon (below, the “organizer”) or its subsidiaries or affiliates.
Entry is limited to original works that have not formerly been displayed or exhibited and to which the entrant holds all applicable rights. Works that have won prizes in other contests or that have been submitted to other contests currently underway are not eligible. Works that are entered in other competitions after submitting to this contest will not be eligible.
- Entries for still photography categories (Category A, B, C, D) are limited to a total of ten works; for example, two entries in Category A and one entry of four photographs in Category D would be counted as a total of six works.
- The same works or portions of the same works cannot be submitted to both the single photo category and photo story category.
- Entrants can submit one entry in the movie category. This means you need to select either Category E or F.
- Entrants can submit to both photography and video categories (maximum submission is 10 pieces of work in photography and 1 video). The number of categories you submit to is not limited, up to the number of work noted above.
- Image data files created with any digital devices including smartphones, digital still cameras (including medium and large-format cameras). Images that have been retouched using software or by other means will be accepted. Retouched photography using camera app or photo editing app is also accepted. Both color and monochrome images will be accepted. We will not be accepting any entries taken on film.Scans of photographs taken by film cameras are not eligible.
- File size: Up to 20 MB per work
- File format: JPEG/150dpi recommended
- The standard color space for the judging process is sRGB.
Winners may be requested to provide higher resolution images for publication or display purposes related to the contest.
Video files created using the video-recording feature of any digital devices(including smartphones, digital still cameras, and Camcorders).
- Length:6 seconds to 180 seconds
- File size: Up to 400 MB
- File format: MOV or MP4
- Any music used must either be copyright-free and performed and recorded by the entrant or a person designated by the entrant (commercial recordings of copyright-free music may not be used) or be works for which the entrant holds the copyright and for which the copyright has not been transferred to a copyright collective or other body.
How to Enter
After carefully reading all the information on the web page, click the “Submit” button at the bottom, fill out the entry form, upload your work and submit.
You can also enter from your smartphone by downloading our submission app for android and iOS, which will be released when entries start.
- After the first round of judging, all entries will be posted onto this website (planned timing: January, 2015). Awards will be decided after second round (February), and final round (April) of judging. Contest results are scheduled to be announced on this website in June 2015.
- Everyone who has entered the contest has a right to vote for the “Participants Award for Most Popular Entry.” All work that has passed the second round of judging will be subject to voting. Voting is scheduled to be in April 2015. Details will be announced on this website.
Notification to Winners
The winners will be notified through email by end of May 2015.
- Winners are requested to review the documents sent to them separately via E-mail from the organizer (including a local Nikon office or authorized Nikon distributor) and, in the event they accept the terms and conditions, to fill out the required items, sign the form (or, if replying by E-mail accept the terms and conditions electronically as specified in the E-mail message) and deliver them to the organizer either by mail or through electronic means on or before the date stated in the documents. Winners may be contacted by telephone should the organizer deem it necessary to confirm any of the information provided.
- Please note that failure to respond within 14 days of the date on which the organizer sends the notification E-mail, whether due to server malfunction or any other cause, will result in disqualification. Entrants should therefore notify the organizer of any changes to their E-mail addresses using the entry page on this website. The organizer does not accept liability for any disadvantages that may arise as the result of inability to receive E-mail.
Award Ceremony and Exhibition
Grand Prize, 1st position for each category, and Participants Award for Most Popular Entry winners will be invited to the award ceremony. An exhibition will be held of all awarded works. Details of venues and dates to be announced on this website.